The JP Orkney Green Policy
JP Orkney has been recognised by the Green Tourism scheme for our eco-friendly approach to travel and tourism in Orkney. We strive to promote a greener way for visitors of Orkney to enjoy our special islands, safeguarding the environment and the sites that make Orkney unique.
- We use an all-electric Mercedes Evito to take people around Orkney on tours. This means no emissions of CO2 whatsoever while travelling, and a lesser overall impact on the environment in comparison to similar gasoline vehicles.
- Charging options vary including the Charge Place Scotland network.
- The vehicle has Mercedes’ innovative regenerative charging.
No plastic bottles
- Our tours give refreshments in reusable environmentally friendly bottles.
Reduced paper usage
- We aim to print as little as possible, but we do print our marketing materials – business cards, welcome signs, leaflets – on recycled paper.
- All our offers are sent electronically, and clients do not need to print a confirmation email.
- We collect all rubbish during our tours and services and recycle it. We also encourage our guests to do the same and list all the recycling centres available in Orkney.
- All packaging used in the production of our Orkney Produce is biodegradable or can be recycled.
- JP Orkney seeks to showcase the best of Orkney, whether it be food, drink, culture or accommodation. We always recommend suppliers that have a green policy in place, or that work primarily with local produce.
- The electricity to charge our vehicles and heat and power our HQ comes primarily from our onsite renewable technology. What we source from the grid is supplied from renewable sources only.
Giving something back
- JP Orkney supports several local initiatives and charities.
- We took part in the North Ronaldsay Sheep Festival and plan to support this in future.
Offsetting your journeys
We’re striving to make journeys in Scotland as eco-friendly as possible, but air travel remains one of the most damaging methods of travel to the environment. Fortunately, there are ways to offset your carbon footprint with projects like ClimateCare, and we always recommend our clientele do so.
Help us be greener
JP Orkney is committed to reducing our environmental impact across all areas of our business:
- In 2019 we were the only company in Scotland to provide a fully electric camper van for hire.
- We are one of the few private companies in Scotland to provide tours in an all-electric vehicle.
- All our produce deliveries and airport pickups are made using electric vehicles.
- As well as having LED lighting in all our offices and kitchens we worked with the SMILE project to develop smart grid technology in our area through onsite installation of improved heating and charge point systems.
We won’t rest on our laurels
Within the next two years JP Orkney aims to:
- Use all recycled/recyclable packaging for our products.
- Build and develop partnerships with Green Tourism-approved companies and providers.
- Work with even more local producers and suppliers.
- Develop more onsite green energy.